One of Northcote’s oldest hotels, The Peacock was built in 1854 by Horace and Edwin Bastings.
The following year they sold it to a 21 year old chap by the name of George Plant (pictured below). Holding the license until his death in 1895, Plant was to become synonymous with the Peacock. His widow, Catherine, took over the hotel license after his passing until 1910.
The Peacock’s most recent incarnation has been overseen by publican Rick Gilbert. Since purchasing the lease in 2005, the Peacock has undergone a transformation like never before. Additions include an out-cider bar in the courtyard, a fully heated and weather-proof pavilion, and the outdoor cooling and heating systems. Not to mention the constant upgrades in furniture and fittings that the venue receives regularly, including multiple HDTV screens and a full HD projector, pinball machines and well maintained pool tables.